Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 127: Pathfinding Differences

Not a lot today, I'm resolving myself to limiting my game playing to only the weekends. So when they come around I'll probably splurge all my time with that. Anyways the quickie right now is changing how path finding works and is setup in our scenes.

It sounds like a big thing, but thanks to an excellent middleware solution, the A* Pathfinding Project by Aron Granberg, it's a pretty simple and painless switch. Of course it's only for one scene, but it only takes  5-10 minutes to setup per scene.

The old path finding sampling grid

The new user placed node system
So yeah, just changed from a sampling grid to user placed nodes that auto link by distance. The nodes render in the game at the moment, but it's an easy fix to just mass select them since they're all under one parent, and then disable or remove the mesh renderer component. Probably disable, since it is useful to have a quick visualization when needed.

As for tomorrow, when I commit really to working on this I'll be working on a sequencer for the various actions that the character can do in the game.  It shouldn't take long, but programming rarely goes as expected for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment