Friday, March 22, 2013

De-Zoomify Image Downloader Origins


As for the story behind why I started this program in the first place; I'll give you some background, I'm an addict for collecting image references for rare guns. One of my hobbies is to create 3D models of guns for use in video games, so it's good to have references on hand for when I want to start a new project.
A 3D model I made of an M1A1 Thompson, a submachine gun used by allied forces in WW2

Cowan's Auction house is currently selling the Richard L. Wray Collection, a collection of old, extremely rare, antique, machine guns in excellent high resolution and beautiful photography. Trend being that after the auction is done, these images will disappear into the void means I couldn't just bookmark it and come back later. So I tried to download them, one by one, finding and figuring out how to use the original web based implementations of Lovasoa's Dezoomify.

Over two hours I got the images for four lots. There is one hundred lots in the auction. So my options are to either take forever to do it manually or actually use my brain and put together something that will save me tons of time now and any other time I would need it later. I'm also on the lookout for a programming job, so having experience and a useful program to show definitely helps.

Anyways for the TL;DR : OM NOM NOM NOM MACHINE GUN REFS.

No comments:

Post a Comment