Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 3: More Animations

Well I thought I was done importing animations, but I just got a package with more animations to put in game. Most of it is just the same animations, but with the character wearing different seasonal clothes. Didn't get anything done on the animation control system, but I should probably work out all the details before starting to code anything.

What I'm thinking of doing for testing is just a little app with two drop down menus, one for choosing a character set, and one for the animations in the set. When the animation is changed to one that uses a unique prop, or has no animated transition then the screen will fade to black, the model and animation will switch, and then the screen will fade back. Otherwise the animation will just tween between the old and the new. So what I need is a list of character sets, with the relevant animations that each have their own transition and prop flags.

Taking some advice from John Carmack and his post about Functional Programming I'm trying to follow the techniques outlined there. I think packaging the state data( character set name, animation name, uses fade flag) in a struct and passing it to a handler behavior is the best I can manage right now. The handler can then create the new components and remove the old ones instead of modifying their pointers. The handler would also call the start to fade if needed and then listen for when it would be appropriate to do the switching.

Well it'll be a busy tomorrow, since this was all just a fancy way of saying I got nothing done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment